Friday, February 26, 2010

Blustery Day!

Wouldn't ya know,... it's the first cold and blustery day we've had in a while. I have a doe out in the shed starting to kid [sigh]. I think, "How can you complain? You grew up on a farm, you live on a farm, that's life." And yet,... I'm sitting here, listening to the wind howl, knowing it's gonna blow right through me when I walk out to check on Athena. I may whine a little... but I won't complain.

AND, .. I'm almost outta clothes. Do a little laundry, check on goat. Laundry. Goat. It's a messy business delivering kids. Especially yesterday. Remember the doe I posted a few days ago, Louise.... "on deck".. the day the quads were born... Anywhooo, .. she wasn't "on deck" she was getting toxemia. Dang it. I've had a rough run with stinkin' toxemia. Then I look around at all these kids. All 14 of them. Yea, 14.  Five does, 14 kids. It's no wonder. Multiples, multiply the risk. Twins are usually do-able, triplets get harder (I have two set so far) and quads, well, bust out the magic (a mix of karo syrup, molasses and corn oil for a boost of high carb energy) 'cause she's gonna get sick. But, Louise has been sick for a week. She didn't look "too" big, pretty average, yet she had signs of toxemia, so she's been getting magic for a week. Yesterday, she delivered two of the biggest kids on the place, a boy and a girl. Even the week-old kids are smaller than her two. I had to get waaay farther into little Louise's "business" than either of us liked but I had to pull both kids. They were just too big. Bruisers, both of them. Larger than usual kids can what?.. Yea, you guessed it, cause toxemia.

Okay, .. I gotta go check on Athena. Brrrrrrr. Come on wind, give me a break.

JoJo = 4
Ms. B = 3
Tipsy = 2
Dotty = 3
Louise = 2
Athena = on deck
Bella = approx. a month out

No comments: